Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cliche Composition Update

In my previous blog, I was unsure about what instruments I was going to write for.  I've decided on piano, alto sax, and double bass.  I think I will be able to achieve rhythmic interest in my piece without the drums, and the double bass will give me some different interesting ways to expand my composition.  The first thing that I wrote was a circle of fifths progression in the piano.  I've decided to write a brief walking bassline for an introduction, and continue it through most of the piece.  I'm very happy with the melody I've come up with.  It mentioned in my previous blog that I could draw melodic material from existing jazz standards, but the melody that I have isn't drawn from any of that, and I'm happy with it.  

After I performed my piece in class, I received the comment that the piano part in particular needed more rhythm.  I decided to add rests and make the rhythms more interesting.  This set up a contrast with the steady walking bassline, and I like the way it sounds.  

No comments: