Wednesday, October 29, 2008

3rd Piece

My last piece turned out to be the strongest of the three we were required to write. I guess even after writing just two pieces you start to learn things which make your compositions better. Something that I noticed about this piece was the inspiration was different. I wrote it after I returned from our midterm break, during which I was out in Lower Island Cove, a small town in which I used to live. It is right on the ocean, and there is a lot of nature out there (as opposed to a city like St. John's). It was this indescribable sensation that inspired me to write this piece. I think the reason that this piece is better than the other two is because of its development; it seems like it actually goes somewhere and says something. I feel that I had some good ideas my other two compositions, but they didn't develop like this one. If I could compare them to sentences, I'd say that this last composition is like a full, complete sentence, where the other two are more like a sentence fragment: one that starts out good but doesn't finish.

One of the things that I'm most proud of in this piece is that I used a minimal amount of compositional material. Everything that I wrote was pretty much based on the same 4 or 5 notes. This helped make my piece more coherent in its development, so that the individual ideas, which are all based on the same material, all flow out of and into one another. I hope the quality I've achieved in this piece will carry into the next pieces I write!

No comments: