Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Finishing my first assignment...

I've read a few other blogs in which people exclaim about finishing their assignment, and how good it felt. I agree: finishing the first complete piece for this course does feel good! It was also cool to write program notes and get it bound so that it looks like a real piece of music!

Even though the 1st copy has been submitted, I'm not quite finished with the piece yet. Yesterday, I met with Dr. Ross to discuss my composition, and I have a few things to fix. One of the things we talked a little about was the fact (which I mentioned in my last blog) that my first two pieces in particular didn't quite feel finished; they could have gone on a bit longer and developed a little more. They weren't quite as refined, compared to the third piece. I agree with this 100%. I guess that is one of the things about writing pieces for a deadline (especially when that deadline is only a little over a month). My plan is to continue developing these pieces sometime in the not too distant future, making them at least as polished as my last piece.

Now, speaking of polishing, that's much of what I need to do to finish my assignment. I need to add a few more articulation markings in my pieces, phrase marks, and more specific dynamics. I had a few things wrong, such as the placement of the piano dynamics. As soon as I finish this, my first complete composition should be good to go!

No comments: